Black belt mind mapping: master mastermindmaps in 7 steps.
- A text is linear, a mind map radial.
- A text is a rectangular block of words, a mind map is a round, treelike, organic structure. The brain loves round, organics structures. The neurones in the brain form a mind map like structure.
- Use one word per branch. A lot of mind maps on the Internet use complete sentences on one branch. That takes you (and your brain) back to a ‘normal” text. Use smart words, that triggers your brain.
- Decide in what thinking mode you want to use the mind map, e.g. converging to a solution or diverging in as much possibilities as possible.
- Visualise. A picture tells more than a thousand words. This mind map contains eight pictures.
- Structure your mind map. By using smart colours (in this mind the branches are logically coloured according to the judo belt colours. In other cases you can try to colour the mind map in accordance with the six thinking hats of De Bono. Structuring is also done by using a clever ordering concept of the keywords. A useful concept for beginners is to think of the mind map as a book. The first (main) branches are the chapters of a book. Whatever you do take the logic of your brain as starting point.
- A black belt mind mapper integrates all previous six techniques to make mastermindmaps.