Mind mapping has a very long history. Arguably it all started with the Tree of Porphyry, a Syrian philosopher.
- The first time the word mind map is used is in the book of Charles Williams.
- The first mind maps as we know them appear around 1200, mainly to memorize texts better.
- The first mind map in the twentieth century is by Walt Disney (not only great mind map, but also the first cross medial strategy).
- The first mind map book is by Tony Buzan.
- The first computer mind map is from Peter Barrett.
- The first commercial software was MindMan